Alburquerque is a 5th municipal income class municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 10,540. In the 2016 electoral roll, it had 6,698 registered voters. The town is colloquially known as “Albur”.
Formerly Alburquerque had one of the longest and heaviest pythons in captivity, with a length of 23 ft (7.0 m), weighing 620 lb (280 kg) and with a girth of 34 in (860 mm). This female python died in 2013, but the mounted creature is still exhibited.
During the Spanish era, the way to travel around Bohol was by sea. Many coastal areas with a sheltered cove or harbor became progressive settlements. Among them was a place called “Lo-oc”, Baclayon, Bohol. It was a sheltered cove good for berthing seacraft. It was also the breeding place of the “Bulinaw”. Since Lo-oc was relatively far from the poblacion, the people had difficulty in attending Holy Mass on Sundays. Accordingly, they had the idea of constructing their own chapel and having a priest from Baclayon come to serve the people. Lady Mariona Irag, a prominent lady in the community took the mantle of leadership. In 1842, she requested the parish priest of Baclayon, Fr. Pedro de la Encarnacion, to supervise the construction of the chapel, a school, and a convent to be built by the people.The construction of these structures gave way to the establishment of Lo-oc as a barrio under the civil and religious jurisdiction of Baclayon and it was renamed Segunto after a town in Cataluña, Spain.
The first kapitan of the place was Pedro Jala who lived in the sitio of Carnago and was the leader of Segunto. Carnago was a barrio separated from the town. Its name was changed to Sikatuna, in honor of the chieftain Datu Sikatuna, who made a blood compact with Spanish conquistador, Miguel Lopez de Legaspi.
The town’s name changed to Alburquerque following its expansion in 1861. In June 1868, Gov. General Jose de la Gandara, issued the decree establishing the new town of Alburquerque in its civil jurisdiction. In November 1868, the Fr. Provincial of the Recollects approved the creation of the town as to its religious jurisdiction. In June 1869, the Bishop of Cebu in which Bohol was a part of the diocese, made Alburquerque a separate diocesan parish under the Augustinian Recollects, dedicated to Sta. Monica. In June 1869 Fr. Tomas Hernandez assumed his post as the first curate of Alburquerque.
Alburquerque comprises 11 barangays, of which six are characterized as coastal (Bahi, San Agustin, Western Poblacion, Eastern Poblacion, Sta Felomina, and Tagbuane) and five as upland (Ponong, Toril, Basacdacu, Cantiguib and Dangay). Furthermore, the urban population is located in three barangays namely, East and West Poblacion and Ponong.